- I haven't had that much to drink in... What am I saying? I've never had that much to drink.
- Yes, I believe no one ever has.
- Okay, the last thing I remember was coming in here last night and...
- I had nothing to do with that.
- Oh, I know, but you were here.
- I was.
- Oh, God. So, I guess we... Did we? I mean, did we?
- We didn't?
- We did not.
- Oh, thank God. I mean, not "thank God," but just thank God. Because I didn't remember... So why didn't we? Just remind (напомнить)
me a little.
- Call me old-fashioned (старомодный)
...but one doesn't have sex with women who are unconscious
. (без сознания)
- Unconscious? Oh, God. That must have been really attractive. Why did you stay?
- Because you asked me to.
- I did, didn't I? Did I beg (умолять)
at one point?
- From the moment I met you, it's been an adventure.
- Oh, yes. And I am deeply sorry about that. I have nothing to say for myself (мне нечем себя оправдать)
... other than I must be temporarily nuts (временно сошла с ума)
- Olivia. Sorry, I didn't mean to look.
- I should probably take this.
- Hello. Hi.
- I can't. I can't today.
- Sophie, Olivia, Amanda.
- Busy guy.
- I think we should go into town.
- What do you mean?
- I think you should get dressed.
- We should take a drive
get some lunch and get to know each other
. (узнать друг друга)
- Really? Why? Because I'm running out (закачиваться)
of reasons why we shouldn't. Aren't you?
- So, you're a book editor
- Yes, I am.
- What kind of an editor are you?
- A very mean (злой, вредный)
- No. What I meant was, do you give massive notes (поправки)
- The better the writer, the less notes.
- And what'd you study in school?
- And did you always know this was what you wanted to do?
- Okay, my palms (ладони)
are starting to sweat. I feel like I'm on a job interview.
- Do you, by any chance, know how to be on a date?
- Sorry. I'm interrogating (допрашивать)
you. Yes. I haven't been on a first date in a long time.
- Well, since we've already had sex and slept together twice... maybe we can bend (согнуть, поменять)
the first-date rules.
- Why are you blushing
- I didn't realize I was. I think you make me nervous. Okay. I'm gonna try to be myself. It's never easy, but I'm gonna try. What was the question? Oh, I know.
- Did I always want to be a book editor? Did you...? Right.
- The answer is yes. My family's in publishing
. (издательское дело)
My dad's a writer of historical fiction. My mum was... Is, to this day, a very important editor at Random House. Okay. I believe my time is up
. (закончилось время) Your turn
. (твоя очередь)
- Deep breath
. (глубокий вдох)
- All right?
- Well, like I said the other night I own a company that does movie advertising.
- I didn't realize you own the company.
- Probably because I didn't mention it. But now that I know you were raised (быть выращенным)
by such a strong working mom...I can say it, and maybe you won't be intimidated
- No, no. I'm still a little intimidated by it. Well, "a little" is way ahead of the curve
. (сильно опережать события)
- What about your family?
- Okay, I'll say it fast. My parents broke up (разойтись)
when I was 15. I'm an only child, and I... I didn't see it coming. (не ожидала этого)
You know, we were really close. We used to call ourselves "The Three Musketeers." (три мушкетёра)
And one night after dinner, my parents sat me down... and told me that they were breaking up. I thought they were kidding
And then I saw a suitcase out of the corner of my eye (краем глаза)
in the hallway. And my dad moved out (выехать)
that night. I think I cried myself to sleep for, like, well... Anyway, a long time. And then I realized that I'd better toughen up
. (стать крепче)
And, well, I got through (пережить)
it and sort of haven't cried since. I also haven't thought of that packed suitcase maybe ever. And that's my tragic little story. Let's order.
- Wait. You haven't cried since you were 15?
- I know it must mean something awful. I know, but... You know, I try, but... Believe me. But can we talk about you some more, please?
- Okay. Yes. Absolutely. Okay. Well, I cry all the time.
- You do not.
- Yeah, I do. More than any woman you've ever met.
- You don't have to be this nice.
- It happens to be the truth.
- A good book, a great film, a birthday card, I weep
. (реветь, рыдать)
- Shut up.
- I'm a major weeper
- This was such a great afternoon.
- It was a really great afternoon.
- You know, you don't have to walk me in. It's freezing, and...
- You can just say you don't want me to come in.
- No, it's not that. I just... No... I'm just tired. I think I'm gonna take a nap
It's not that.
- Okay, I'll pretend I believe you.
- Graham, I'm leaving in nine days. And that makes this complicated. (сложный)
And I'm not sure I can handle (справиться)
complicated right now.
- And that doesn't make things complicated?
- Sex makes everything complicated. Even when you don't have it, the not having it makes things complicated.
- Which is why it's usually better to have it. Some say.
- Well, I'm off to work in the morning. I promise I won't be drunkenly (в опьянении) banging on (сильно стучать)
your door any time soon.
- We'll see each other, okay?
- We'll figure something out.
- Oh, it's freezing.