- Five, six, seven, eight, nine,
- Who is it?
- It's me. Hurry up. It's freezing
- Who are you?
- Iris, open the door...or I swear I'm gonna take a leak (пописать)
all over your...
- You're not Iris. Or if you are, I'm much drunker than I realized. I'm sorry for my profanity
. (сквернословие, ругательство)
I wasn't expecting you.
- Well, I wasn't expecting you either.
- Nevertheless (тем не менее)
, may I just...?
- Yeah. Of course. Sure.
- You had to... Yeah.
- I'm Graham. Iris' brother.
- Brother. I'm Amanda Woods. I'm staying here.
- Amandawoods? Is that all one word?
- No. No, it's not.
- Brother? Oh, my God.
- So, Iris is... Where is...? Where is she?
- She didn't tell you? She could have done...but as previously stated (отмечалось)
...I'm... I've just... I've been...
- She's in Los Angeles.
- That's not possible.
- Iris never goes anywhere.
- Well, we have that in common. No, she listed (выставить)
this cottage on a home-exchange website and I found it. We switched houses for two weeks. For the holiday. She's in L.A. At my house and I'm here.
- People actually do that?
- Apparently. (очевидно)
Yeah. I mean, it seems. Here I am in my pajamas.
- She did ring me last night. I didn't get a chance to get back to (перезвонить)
her. I feel awful now. Would you mind if I sat? I feel like I might bump into (наткнуться)
- Sure. Yeah. Sit. You okay?
- Yeah, I'm good. Look, I'm sorry about the intrusion (вторжение)
. Although I may not appear it, I am in fact Iris'...semi-respectable (полу приемлемый)
big brother. But on the rare... Or lately not-so-rare occasion (случай)
... that I frequent (частый)
the local pub... and get inordinately pissed
, (излишне пьяный)
my little sister puts me up...so I don't get behind the wheel
. (садиться за руль)
Pathetic explanation, but unfortunately, it's become a bit of a routine.
- So, how's it going so far? I mean, up until I showed up (явиться)
and ruined (испортить)
- Well, it's not going so great. Yeah, I'm leaving tomorrow on a noon plane.
- When did you get here?
- About six hours ago.
- We've made a great impression (произвести хорошее впечатление)
on you, haven't we?
- No, it's not that. It's just that... You know, I'm not quite myself right now. I came here on a stupid whim
. (по глупой прихоти)
Honestly, I've never thought about anything less. It's very unlike me. Would you like something to drink? Glass of water? Tea? Wine, maybe? I think there's a bottle of brandy. Fancy (хотеть)
- Good. So... I'm sorry, I've totally blanked (выпадать из головы)
and forgotten your name.
- So, Amanda ...you're not married, are you?
- Why? Do I look not married?
- No. It was just a backwards way (обходной путь)
of asking if you were married.
- No, not at all.
- I don't know what that means. I mean, no, I'm not married.
- Me neither.
- So, is it horrible if I stay? I'll be gone before you even wake up. I promise you will never lay eyes on
me (заметить, увидеть, встретить)
- Of... No, that's fine. Sure.
- Thank you.
- Let me just get you a blanket. (одеяло)
- In the cupboard, on top of the Scrabble. (игра Эрудит)
- So why is it you aren't quite yourself (не совсем в себе)
at the moment?
- Well, I just broke up with someone. Yesterday. And I guess what I was feeling... was that I didn't wanna be alone over the holidays. I thought that if I was somewhere else...I wouldn't realize I was alone. Then I got here and never felt more alone in my life. Big surprise.
- Bet (спорить)
you're glad you knocked on (постучать)
- I am, actually.
- Yeah, well...
- Sorry and good night.
- Sweet dreams.
- Do you think you could? Would you mind...trying that again?
Kissing a total stranger.
- Really? I do it all the time.
- Let me try this. Maybe if I closed my eyes. You know, given that I'm in a bit of a personal crisis...and I find myself in a total stranger's home in a town that I can't actually remember the name of… and considering that you showed up... and you're, like, insanely good-looking (сумасшедше симпатичный)
... and really drunk and probably won't remember me anyway... I'm thinking... we should have sex. If you want.
- Is that a trick question
? (вопрос с подвохом)
- I'm actually serious. And not that it matters (иметь значение)
, but I've never said anything like that in my entire (полный, целый)
life. It's just that this whole...knowing-I'll-never-see-you-again thing is kind of exciting
. (волнительный, волнующий)
I mean, this is what a vacation's supposed to be. You're supposed to vacate (освободить, отпустить)
life, do the unexpected. (неожиданный)
And you are definitely unexpected.
- This all sounded (звучать)
wonderful till I became the cabana boy. (пляжный мальчик, официант на пляже)
- And you're funny, which is, like, a bonus.
- Yeah? Never meet me when I'm sober
. (по рукам, договорились)
- Oh, also, I should warn (предупредить)
you. I'm not very good at this.
- Okay. Now, that cannot be true.
- Nevertheless, the guy that I lived with mentioned it once or twice... and a girl does not forget a comment like that. Not even me. I mean, how bad could I be? Sex is pretty basic, right? Am I pretty much talking you out (отговорить)
- Strangely, not at all.
- How do you feel about foreplay
- I think it's overrated. (переоценённый) Significantly (значительно)
- You are quickly becoming one of the most interesting girls I've ever met. Look at you. You're already better than you think.