- Good luck.
- Hi. I have an appointment (встреча)
- Andrea Sachs?
Great. Human Resources certainly has an odd (странный)
sense of humor. Follow me.
Okay. So, I was Miranda's second assistant (второй помощник)
but her first recently got promoted, and now I'm the first.
You're replacing yourself.
Well, I am trying.
Miranda sacked (выгнать, уволить)
the last two girls after a few weeks. We need someone who can survive here.
Do you understand?
Yeah, of course. Who's Miranda?
Oh, my God. I will pretend (притворяться)
you did not just ask me that She's the editor in chief (главный редактор)
of Runway. Not to mention, a legend. Work a year for her and you can get a job at any magazine you want.
A million girls would kill for this.
- It sounds like a great opportunity.
- I'd love to be considered.
- Andrea..Runway is a fashion magazine, so an interest in fashion is crucial (важный, решающий, ключевой)
- What makes you think I'm not interested in fashion?
- Oh, my God. No, no, no!
- What's wrong?
- She's on her way. Tell everyone. She's not supposed to be here until 9. Her driver just text messaged, and her facialist ruptured a disk (косметолог получила пролапс межпозвоночного диска).
- God, these people.
- Who 's that?
- That I can't even talk about.
- All right, everyone. Gird your loins! (приготовиться)
- Did someone eat an onion bagel?
- Sorry, Miranda.
- Move it.
- I don't understand why it's so difficult to confirm appointments
. (подтвердить встречу)
- I'm so sorry. I actually did confirm...
- Details of your incompetence do not interest me.
- Tell Simone I won't approve that girl she sent me for the Brazilian layout
I asked for clean, athletic, smiley. She sent dirty, tired and paunchy (пузатая)
- R.S.V.P. (ответить на приглашение)"
yes" to the Michael Kors party.
- I want the driver to drop me off (завести)
at 9:30 and pick me up (забрать)
at 9:45 sharp. Then call Natalie at Glorious Foods and tell her "no" for the 40th time. I don't want dacquoise. (дакуаз – бисквит)
I want tortes filled with rhubarb compote (тарталетки с сиропом из ревеня)
. Call my ex and remind him the parent teacher conference (родительское собрание)
is at Dalton. Then call my husband, ask him to meet me for dinner at that place I went to with Massimo. Tell Richard I saw the pictures he sent for that feature(статья)
on female paratroopers(десантник)
and they're all so unattractive. Is it impossible to find a lovely slender (стройный)
- Am I reaching for the stars
? (Разве я прошу невозможное)
- Not really. Also...I need to see all the things that Nigel has pulled for Gwyneth's second cover try. I wonder
(интересоваться) if she's lost any of that weight yet. Who is that?
- Nobody. Well, Human Resources sent her up (прислать)
about the new assistant job. I was sort of preinterviewing her for you. But she's hopeless and totally wrong for this...
- Well, clearly, I have to do that myself. The last two you sent me
were completely inadequate...so send her in. That's all.
- She wants to see you.
- She does?
- Move. This is foul (непотребный)
. Don't let her see it.
- That's my...
- Who are you?
- My name is Andy Sachs.I recently graduated from Northwestern University.
- And what are you doing here?
- Well, I think I could do a good job as your assistant.
- I came to New York to be a journalist, and sent letters out everywhere and finally got a call from Elias Clarke and met with Sherry
up at Human Resources and... Basically, it's this or Auto Universe.
- So, you don't read Runway?
- Before today, you'd never heard of me?
- And you have no style or sense of fashion.
- Well...I think that depends on what you're...
- No, no. That wasn't a question.
- I was editor in chief of The Daily Northwestern. I also won a national competition for college journalists with my series on the janitors' union (профсоюз дворников)
which exposed the exploitation of...
- That's all.
- Yeah, you know, okay.
- You're right. I don't fit in here.
- I am not skinny or glamorous and I don't know that much about fashion but I'm smart. I learn fast and work very hard.
- I've got the exclusive on the Cavalli for Gwyneth. The problem is, with that huge feathered (с перьями)
headdress she's wearing she looks like she's working the stage (работает на сцене)
at the Golden Nugget.
- Thank you for your time.
- Who is that sad little person?
- Are we doing a before-and-after piece I don't know about?