- Chiyo. Chiyo-chan.
- Come. Two nights ago, Hatsumomo had to stay at the teahouse (чайный домик)
That's what she told Mother. But she was really here with a man the whole
- Why can't you be quiet?
- So, this is the new arrival
. (новое прибытие)
- A pity she still stinks (вонять)
of fish. Stay out (держаться подальше)
of my room. Your fingers smell. I can't have you touching my things.
- Only reason Mother tolerates (терпеть)
Hatsumomo is because she brings in good money.
- Never forget. It is Hatsumomo who pays for your supper the clothes on your back.
- By the time she was 20 she had already earned (заработать)
back her purchase price
. (покупная цена) Unheard (неслыханно)
of. She has been the talk of the hanamachi ever since.
- These are all hers?
- Certainly not. They belong to the okiya. A kimono like this, made of Tatsumura silk (шёлк)
it would take a lifetime to earn. A geisha needs an elegant wardrobe (гардероб)
just like an artist needs ink
If she's not properly (должным образом)
dressed, then she is not a true geisha.
- Nobody told me what a geisha is.
- You will find out soon enough.
- I have news for you, child. Mother has determined it is off to school with you. You are to become geisha.
- Chiyo! Pumpkin!
- Quick, quick! Don't be late! You will be late.
- Go. Go.
- This way!
- Pumpkin! Pumpkin! Pumpkin! I'm going to run. I'm going to find Satsu.
- No, Chiyo-chan, don't!
- You will ruin (разрушить)
your own chances. And mine too. Please, stay with me.
- Look for your sister's name later.
- You are late!
- Chiyo! Where is Granny's food? Where have you been?
- It's freezing cold
! (очень холодно, холодрыга, дубак)
Close the window!
- with millions of people unemployed (безработные)
, on the brink of starvation
. (на грани голода)
- Banking institutions (банковские учреждения)
have continued to suffer (страдать)
in Germany due to rapid inflation
Another cause (причина)
of Germany's suffering is the constant struggle (постоянная борьба)
to pay the heavy burden of war reparations (платить (нести)
тяжелое бремя военных репараций) it's still .
- Chiyo! Chiyo, come quickly! Hatsumomo is at the bathhouse.
- Tidy up
- But she told me to stay out
- Hatsumomo does not run (управлять)
- The Japanese emperor has agreed to send army instructors to Manchuria.
- Why, look who's in my room.
- Did you touch this?
- I can just hear the General now. "Why, Hatsumomo, you used to smell of jasmine. What's this new perfume? Blowfish?" (иглобрюх, рыба-собака)
I told you never to touch my things. Can't you understand why?
- Because your General will say, "Hatsumomo, you stink."
- At least you don't smell as bad as your sister. You know, she was here. She came by looking for you.
- Was I wrong to ask her to leave?
- Please, tell me where she is.
- Only if you swear yourself to me (поклясться в верности мне)
- Now, get out
. (убираться, выметаться)
- Hatsumomo. You'll wake (разбудить)
the entire house.
- Your big sister is thirsty. So am l. Go get us some beer.
- I'm not in the mood (настроение)
- I know what you're in the mood for, and his name is Koichi.
- What did you say, Korin?
- I'm sorry. l forgot.
- You're just jealous (завидовать)
someone cares (беспокоиться, волноваться)
- Guess who this belongs (принадлежать)
to. A geisha as desired (желанная)
as she is ought to keep a close eye on (приглядывать)
- lt's Mameha's?
- How did you get it?
- Bribed (подкупать)
. (горничная, служанка)
- l can't.
- Give it to her.
- Little Chiyo, come. Come. Chiyo. Now, then, little Chiyo, it's time to practice your calligraphy.
- There. Remember, you swore yourself to me.
- Don't let anybody see you. Go, go!
- This will teach the great Mameha.
- Come, come.